Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing
I was really craving muffins yesterday. I went with apple, cinnamon because Nick loves cinnamon. This particular muffin recipe is extra soft a fluffy. I added bits of Fuji apple (the best apple for baking) and the swirled icing to make them irresistible. Yum.
I am going to eat one of these bad boys for breakfast today and not feel guilty at all. You know why? Because I just started the P90X work out. I plan to eat healthy over the next 90 days but allow myself decadent desserts that I can burn off through out the day. Get ready for some serious breakfasts recipes!
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F (or 400 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cups in 12 regular-size muffin cups.
2. Stir muffin mix, milk, oil and eggs in medium bowl just until blended (batter may be lumpy). Peel and chop your apple pieces, stir into mix. Divide batter among muffin cups (each about 2/3 full).
3. Sprinkle streusel over batter in each cup; press lightly. Bake 16 to 21 minutes or until golden brown.
1. With a electronic mixer whip room temperature cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until it is smooth and incorporated. Add water last for a thinner consistency.
2. Fill a piping bag or squeeze bottle (I picked up my Wilton squeeze bottles from Michaels for $2 and I use them to decorate all my dishes!) to create the swirled icing.
NOTE: I frequently use boxed mixes that you can buy ahead of time to show that with a little thought and some extra ingredients anything can look unique and taste and homemade. Maybe you’re a mom and you work a full time job as well… Do you have time to make 24 cupcakes from scratch? Probably not, but you could make these easy orange creamsicle cupcakes that will wow everyone!