Mini “Popsicle” Brownie Bites
This weekend I made brownies for a little boy that needs some cheering up. I wanted to do something really special for him but was worried that “salted caramel brownies” would sound weird to an 11 year old.
So I kept it simple, classic fudge brownies. But … a dash of rainbow sprinkles can go a long way.
When I was a kid, anything with frosting and sprinkles was a home-run in my book. Did I ever tell you I had a kitten in college (it was actually my roommates) named Sprinkles?
She was white and grey and crazy! She would sleep on my head or wake me up at 2am running in circles around the bed.
Crazy Sprinkles. Such a good name for a kitten. It just sounds happy doesn’t it?
Anyway, I first saw these “popsicle brownies” on pinterest. Adorable. But I thought they looked a little too big. I already had mini popsicle sticks, a little square cookie cutter so I decided to make little minis.
All I had to do was pick up a bag of blue and pink candy melts at Michaels for $2 and a box fudge brownies.
In my opinion, Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies are the best you can buy in a box.
I also use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. You can really taste the coconut flavor and it’s really, really good in brownies.
I hope these bring some cheer. It’s raining and it’s Monday, I bet we can all use some rainbow sprinkles in our life.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F for glass or metal pans, 325°F for dark or non-stick pans. Grease bottom of pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix brownie mix, eggs, oil and water in large bowl. Stir until well blended (about 50 strokes). Spread in greased pan and bake immediately for about 22 mins (do the toothpick test, brownies are done when toothpick inserted 1 inch from edge of pan comes out clean. ).
3. This is important, let the brownies cool completely in pan before using your square cutter. After you make your mini squares insert your popsicle stick perfectly in the center of the brownie.
4. Melt about half of bag of Wilton candy melts in a deep bowl on defrost setting in a microwave for 30 second intervals. It’s very important not to over heat the candy melts. Heat for 30 seconds and stir, heat for 30 seconds and stir etc. until you have the right consistency.
5. Spread the candy no the tip of the brownies with a butter knife, they sprinkle on the rainbow sprinkles immediately. Let the candy harden and then serve.