The Morning of my Sunrise Wedding and Rev. Jay Bowman

Date: July 6, 2012
Location: The Beach, Southern Shores, North Carolina
Time: 5:30am
Wedding ceremony start time: 6:00am (shortly after sunrise)

There I was, hair halfway done, stomach in knots and I didn’t even have my dress on yet. The ceremony was starting soon and I felt certain that my hair and make up looked insane. I said loose curls on the bottom, but had a sneaking suspicion that I had tight spirals all over my head. I felt as if nothing was going according to my long laid out plans and I was totally stressing out.

I had no question about the man I was about to marry, he’s the best thing that ever happened to me. But that morning I was more nervous than I had ever been in my whole life. Was I going to cry? Maybe I was going to laugh. Maybe I was going to yell at people! I don’t know, I just felt crazy.

My girlfriends helped me with my dress and other final details and I walked out of the little beach cottage with my grandpa feeling like I was having an out of body experiencing. (I’m told that for some people this is totally normal)

In that next hour or so (an hour that I will remember for the rest of my life) there were two things really helped to make me feel better and the first was our officiant, Rev. Jay Bowman.

There was something calming (and happy) about him as soon as he arrived. Right before the ceremony started he met me at the entrance to the beach. He looked me right in the eyes and told me everything was going to be okay, that this was about me and the man of my dreams and he was going to talk me through everything.

When the ceremony started he reminded us to take in every moment, to feel the sand in our toes, remember the sound of the waves and the light orange and pale blue color of the sky and to look around at all of our friends and family there to celebrate our love.

He made the ceremony feel just right for us.ย  The sunrise (and the moon setting at the same time) belonged to us that morning and Rev. Jay Bowman made it all happen.

All of our guests agreed that he was amazing. He was loud enough over the crashing waves, personal enough that it seemed as if he had been there from the moment Nick and I met. It wasn’tย  too long or too short. He made me laugh even when I was crying. (I am so thankful that Ericka captured this important moment for us!)

The other thing that made me feel better (of course) was looking into Nick’s eyes and holding his hands and knowing that our love was beyond anything else. All the little details that didn’t work out or the plans that didn’t go my way, the hair that I thought looked crazy, my chubby arms or the way my dress fit or stuck in the sand, none of it mattered anymore in that moment.

This was what it was all about.

If you are getting married in the Outer Banks and are looking for the perfect officiant for your wedding, I can’t recommend Rev. Jay Bowman enough. He was the best thing that happened to our wedding and we are forever grateful for the memories he gave us. Visit www.obxbrides.com or www.myouterbanksweddings.comย  for more info.

More details and photos from my sunrise beach wedding (with a mimosa and donut reception after) here.

All photos taken by the amazing: Julie Dreelin Beach Productions

25 Responses to “The Morning of my Sunrise Wedding and Rev. Jay Bowman”

1. Made in Sonoma posted on August 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Made in Sonoma replied on August 17th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Sorry, I had a typo…

SOOOOOOOOOO beautiful! Seriously! Your pictures look so dreamy!

• Michelle O replied on August 18th, 2012 at 3:43 am

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait to one day see yours!!!

2. Dott posted on August 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm (#)

I think your hair looked perfect! I love the idea of a sunrise wedding, wsh I’d thought of it ๐Ÿ™‚ And I think that crazy, anxious feeling is normal. Congrats!

3. lokness posted on August 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm (#)

Congratulations! Beautiful wedding and beautiful pictures! Beach wedding is simply amazing and magical. I got married on a beach too! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} posted on August 17, 2012 at 6:26 pm (#)

Congratulations! You look stunning and your photos are beautiful – what a lovely ceremony ๐Ÿ™‚ I

5. Collections posted on August 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm (#)

This is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!!

Collections

6. Freshie posted on August 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm (#)

Congrats! Your photos are beautiful and so is your dress!

7. Sophie posted on August 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm (#)

Congrats! Those pictures are all amazing! I love the last one and your dress is so beautiful!

8. Anita at Hungry Couple posted on August 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm (#)

Wow, a sunrise wedding! That must have been amazing. Beautiful photos and your hair was perfect, loose curls just like you asked for.

9. Ellen B Cookery posted on August 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm (#)

Congratulations! You look so cute together and I love your dress!

10. Heather posted on August 17, 2012 at 11:39 pm (#)

Still in love with your dress! the tail is amazing! Your photos are so beautiful and the sign is SUPER adorable! Congrats again ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Kim Bee posted on August 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

Congratulations. You look beautiful Michelle. Gorgeous photos.

12. Sean Marie posted on August 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm (#)

Seriously all so gorgeous! I love all the pictures. I’m so jealous, your photographer was amazing!

13. Danielle posted on April 13, 2015 at 10:50 pm (#)

This is so amazing! We are having our wedding at sunrise on July 5 beside nagshead pier! I’m so nervous! We are actually going with Tony Joseph that’s on Jays website! By the way you look stunning and your pictures just calmed my nerves so much!

14. +MOIw8zCvMOww/DDrMKIwpjDIMOwwwzDIMG5z/lcoMG4wxzCjMLkwqzCmMPMwyDCSYwEwZFuJMEQw4jDzMK8w7DD8MOs-
    UGG+MKIwpjDIMOwwwzDIXpcwCFuJMEQ-ugg+MAlbiTBE-UGG+MKIwpjDIMOwwwzDI- http://karmedservice.kz/

15. Alljobspo Medicals posted on February 28, 2019 at 5:31 pm (#)

Some genuinely good info , Gladiolus I detected this. “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened.” by William Franklin Billy Graham.

16. Jordon Azer posted on March 14, 2019 at 12:46 am (#)

would love to forever get updated great blog! .

17. cheatbreaker cape posted on March 14, 2019 at 2:38 pm (#)

There’s noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain good factors in options also.

18. hidden pubg hacks posted on March 15, 2019 at 5:22 am (#)

Great site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks for your effort!

19. how to install fortnite on pc posted on March 15, 2019 at 11:10 am (#)

you’re really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a wonderful job on this topic!

20. cheat engine posted on March 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm (#)

Intresting, will come back here again.

21. madden nfl mobile hack posted on March 15, 2019 at 3:26 pm (#)

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

22. Lea Doerksen posted on March 16, 2019 at 12:14 pm (#)

There are actually loads of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice point to convey up. I provide the thoughts above as normal inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place crucial factor will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, but I’m sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Both girls and boys feel the impression of just a momentโ€™s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

23. Nereida Sonday posted on March 18, 2019 at 7:35 am (#)

this website is my aspiration, very fantastic style and perfect content material.