Life a few weeks before baby …

I thought it might be fun to write about how things feel right now in these last couple weeks before our little man gets here.ย  It’s been so surreal lately. That’s why I chose to add this “comic book” effect to my photos. It really makes things look how they feel.

This is my desk while I work from home until my maternity leave starts. I feel really blessed that my boss and company are comfortable and even encouraging ofย  this. I waddle downstairs in my pajamas every morning and get started on things. I also love, love, love my new desk chair. It definitely feels weird though knowing that I won’t have to go back into work for over three months.

I’ve been a freezer meal making machine this week. Here are the chicken enchiladas I mentioned in my last post. I also made Martha Stewart’s Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes. If you are looking for a good freezer meal or casserole I highly recommend it!

Tonight I will make a beef stroganoff freezer meal.

I’ve been reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It’s the one book that EVERYONE recommends. I don’t know how much is really sticking in my brain right now though.

I also have some serious anxiety about breastfeeding. None of the women in my family did it and have all said “Are you sure you really want to do that?” I am also constantly reading on message boards how hard it is and how much it hurts. Super stressed about this. I probably worry about it at least 5 times a day, no joke.

I’m trying to pay more attention to the Honey Bear, after all she was our first baby. I know things must be weird for her too. Here we all are in this new house and mom has a belly that just keeps growing and dad talks to itย  like it’s a person.

She probably wonders why we seem on edge lately and why I started staying home with her during the day. Dogs are pretty intuitive, she must know something is going on.

Speaking of the new house, I love getting to drink my morning coffee with this view in the backyard.ย  Sometimes it’s the little things in life that make it so good. But I do think that part of what makes this all seem so “unreal” is the new house. We only moved in a little over a month ago.

All of a sudden we live in this nice new house deep in the suburbs. I mean … when did this happen?

I know we planned it. We saved a ton of money. We talked about it and made it happen, I just still can’t believe it sometimes. I look around and I think… where am I? What is going on?

It’s common to hear this in our house lately: “Baby … This is OUR house. We have a nice house!!!”

or

“Baby we are really having a baby!? We made a baby. This is crazy!”

Last but not least… the hospital bag. I’ve been procrastinating on this one.

Last night we went to our hospital for a tour. Lucky for us it’s just 10 minutes down the road. I’m also pretty excited that every room is a private room.

They said I didn’t need to pack much but … I do want my own towel, and what if they have scratchy toilette paper? Not the best time for me to have scratchy TP. (Good tip from a friend)

I also packed: A robe, an extremely loose fitting going home outfit, two nursing bras and a nursing tank top, soothing gel pads for breastfeeding, shampoo and conditioner, face cleaning towelettes and dry shampoo.

I put a note in there that has a check list of the things I need to add right before we go like my phone charger and ipad and hair dryer. Do you think I’ll be able to dry my hair on my own? Don’t say I won’t care how my hair looks before we go home. I will.

Anyway … this is life lately. It’s weird and seems unreal. What’s coming next is so unknown. I know it’s going to be amazing though and I can’t wait to start this next chapter of my life with my loving husband/best-friend.

Stay tuned.

11 Responses to “Life a few weeks before baby …”

1. Made in Sonoma posted on May 16, 2013 at 7:57 pm (#)

Obviously I’ve never had a baby, but I think about breastfeeding, too! I think it’s so scary, but I just think how my mom did it and she tells me how it’s absolutely the best food for your baby and what they need, so just think of it that way. You’d be giving your baby the best nutrition. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m sure it’ll happen. They will help you at the hospital on latching (or so I hear).

Your desk chair is VERY cute!

2. jj posted on May 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm (#)

Don’t stress over the breastfeeding. Just think of the millions of women who are not near as well adjusted as you, who have breast fed their children, if they can do it, you can too. Not to mention the third world countries with so many people who probably breast feed their children, no choice. My sister is a pediatrician and she says that getting the first few days is the most important. If, when you get through that and you don’t want to do it any more, well don’t. Millions of us were bottle fed and . . . well . . . turned out fine. I think so anyway. Enjoy it. What a blessing he will be.
    p.s. All hospitals are moving to all private rooms because of the “privacy” thing.

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I am going to remember back to you saying that — getting the few first days is the most important. Thanks JJ. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Leslie Coolidge posted on May 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm (#)

Wow! Never thought about my own towel or to at the hospital! Awesome tip! Adding to the old hospital bag right now! About the breastfeeding, I’m pretty nervous too. My mom couldn’t do it, but I’m refusing to give up hope! That book under the Happy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is the best! I’ve had many friends and nurses suggest I take it with me to the hospital.
    But anyway, good luck!! And these last few weeks are hard but it’s almost over! I hope you don’t go over like me and Lainie have done!

4. Melissa posted on May 17, 2013 at 12:09 am (#)

Hi Michelle, so excited for this new adventure. I just wanted to encourage you with breastfeeding sometimes all we seem to hear are weird horror stories. So I want to tell you that I love labor, I love feeling what is happening to my body, I love pushing because that means the little baby is almost here, and I love breastfeeding. The calmer you are, the easier it is. I never had pain and I credit good latching technique ( turn the babies whole body toward you, basically line baby’s mouth toward nipple and follow with the rest of he baby. Don’t let people around or where you are deter you. Large receiving blankets work even better than nursing covers. Drnk lots ofwater and eat lots and well. Rest! Above all, listen to your mommy voice, that little voice tells you all you need to know once baby gets here. That mommy voice will not steer you wrong no matter what any book tells you is right or wrong! Also, don’t freak when baby wants to nurse frequently in the beginning or worry how much he is getting. As long as little man is pooping, peeing, and growing you are doing just fine. You will be great! You were made for this! (how is that for tons of unsolicited advice?)

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for this Melissa. I love unsolicited positive advice ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Ana posted on May 17, 2013 at 4:29 am (#)

Bring slippers! I needed to have a little help getting labor going and it made my feet swell up so my shoes didn’t fit anymore. You do not want to go home without something on your feet, just in case.

I’m six weeks in with my little guy and I love breastfeeding. Your hospital probably has lactation consultants, or can refer you to one. Use them, and be open about being nervous, most moms are! Ask your nurse or doctor about it while you’re in the hospital. Most of all, don’t let yourself dwell on it. A lot of babies kinda know what to do, and as long as you can help them get a good latch, it won’t hurt. If it hurts, break the latch and try again. Don’t feel to bad about making your baby try again, a bad latch means they’re working too hard to get the milk out. Helping them get a good latch helps them eat easier.

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Yes! Slippers! I forgot to put those in there. I have those too. I hope that I feel the same exact way 6 weeks in.

6. Ammie posted on May 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm (#)

Everyone in my family did their best to discourage me from breast feeding too. I was fortunate that my first baby latched on easily and other than too much milk (at one point I was wearing diapers over my breasts at night!), it was a natural and easy process. My advice is to be open to any number of scenarios. Moms carry around so much guilt! Don’t be wedded to a specific scenario or outcome because sometimes your baby, your body, or the universe at large may have a different plan for you. I know plenty of women who were able to breast feed without any problems but I know an equal amount who struggled through a lot of pain and guilt when it didn’t come easily or didn’t work out. Go with the flow, breathe, and enjoy every single moment because it goes by so fast! Best wishes to you and your family!

• Michelle O replied on May 18th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Ammie! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Shelby posted on June 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm (#)

Here is a gross tip: Go buy a pack of cheap underwear to bring with you or you will more than likely end up ruining some of your good ones in the first few weeks after he’s born. I had bleeding for 2 months (not everyone does, don’t be scared, lol) ….. just advice I hadn’t heard/thought about- I had to go shuffle around Target for some undies once G was born.