Banana, Pineapple and Almond Milk Smoothie (Plus a New Baby Update)

This smoothie was no small feat. And by that I don’t mean that it was hard to make, it actually took less than 5 minutes. What was hard was getting away from the baby for more than a minute.

These past few weeks (2.5) have been some of the most wonderful, yet hardest of my life.

People always say “having a baby is hard work” but I guess I just didn’t comprehend exactly how much work it would be. I was still thinking I was going to have my summer “off.”

Like a vacation with my new baby.

I knew I would be changing diapers and he would cry a lot and there would be challenges, but sleep deprivation put a whole new spin on everything.

I hadn’t sleep for almost three whole days when we brought Austin home from the hospital. That was really terrible. There have been no trips out of the house with just mom and baby. I’ve been too tired/nervous to do anything other than lounge and nap with Austin until Nick gets home from work.

I look like hell and we have done nothing.

But the good news is that I’m slowly learning how to function without sleep. I’m also learning that I shouldn’t beat myself up for moving at a slower pace with my new baby because we will get there in time.

This morning I actually got him in the Baby Bjorn all by myself and we went for a walk with Nick before he went to work. It was a short walk but it was better than nothing.

And yesterday, I was able to get down to the kitchen and make and photograph this smoothie. There is no rum in it … but maybe there should be.  (Isn’t he beautiful?)

Banana, Pineapple and Almond Milk Smoothie  (Makes 2, adapted from Paula Deens Pina Colada Smoothie)
2 cups fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup plain or vanilla almond milk
1 banana
1/4 cup ice cubes
pineapple wedges, for garnish

1. In a blender, combine the pineapple chunks, almond milk, banana, and ice. Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 large glasses. Garnish each serving with a pineapple wedge.

14 Responses to “Banana, Pineapple and Almond Milk Smoothie (Plus a New Baby Update)”

1. Marcy posted on June 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm (#)

He is beautiful! Enjoy the just lounging stage …when you ( if you have a second child…) you won’t be able to just ‘be’ with your baby. It’s special this first baby..so much snuggle time. 🙂

2. Formerly Mad posted on June 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm (#)

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. Shelby posted on June 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm (#)

Congrats Michelle!!! Stay positive!! Everyone tells you how hard it is… but there is no way you can have any idea. I remember having anxiety at bed time because I just knew I was going to be awake all night. You’ll get used to it and everything will get easier. It gets harder in other ways- but I think this is the hardest adjustment of them all…. the initial lack of sleep is a slap in the face. Don’t worry… you can do it!! And if anyone offers to come over and hold your baby so you can go to the store, etc… LET THEM 🙂 Hang in there!

• Ericka Andersen replied on June 24th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Michelle, I will babysit sometime in the near future 🙂

4. Liz Badley posted on June 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm (#)

Austin is soooo cute!!

5. Erica posted on June 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

Is he a redhead? Hard to tell from the pic, but sooo cute!

6. Made in Sonoma posted on June 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm (#)

Very cute pic! It sounds hard, but it’s gotta get easier with time, right?! 🙂

7. Robin posted on June 25, 2013 at 2:31 am (#)

Sleep when he sleeps – You will feel much better
    Don’t worry about a messy house – It can wait till the weekend
    Accept help when offered
    If you are nursing, make bottles for 3am feedings – that is where hubs can help

Wonderful times ahead 🙂

8. erica posted on June 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm (#)

This sounds amazing!! xx

9. a4879af6-e2d5-11e2-ae9d-000bcdcb2996 posted on July 2, 2013 at 5:09 am (#)

I have a newborn at home too. I always laugh at those who say sleep when he sleeps. There is always so much to do!! I know that the lack of sleep SUCKS (i had softer words but none of them sounded right) All I would tell myself is that it will be over soon. In the middle of the night feedings, it will be over soon. For the hour long cry sessions, it will be over soon. Girl, have a glass of wine (or 2)while you wash the 20th load of laundry for the day and just know, it will be over soon. The best thing I did was make sure that I showered every day. Sometimes you can go a day or two without a shower; even on the worst day, feeling fresh and clean with a 10 minute shower can totally change your mood. He’ll be walking soon, it goes so fast!!!!

10. Suzanne posted on July 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm (#)

Thank you for this smoothie recipe. It has seriously changed my food intake each day. Congratulations on the little man!

11. Jessie posted on July 10, 2013 at 8:21 pm (#)

Congratulations! I remember my first 2 weeks with my son. We had alot of failed breast feeding, no sleep, and one crabby momma (I didn’t look all that great myself). Eventually it all got better, and he taught me more about myself than anyone else has! He is now 5 years old and still does! Just reading your post though…it made me miss him being that little! You will miss these sleep deprived times and him being so tiny before you know it! Treasure your little guy! My second baby was much easier, but I knew what to expect and that helped alot!

12. Michelle posted on October 26, 2014 at 3:30 am (#)

Just looking back and feeling grateful for all the support for you ladies. I really appreciate it xoxoxo Now that we are through this tough period (and even thinking about doing it again) It’s nice to know people are there for you xoxo

13. Keely posted on May 30, 2015 at 8:13 pm (#)

I’m sitting here with my 2 month little girl as I’m reading this recipe. Just though i’d comment. Looks great! 🙂