Red, White and Blue Jello Shots are the perfect way to celebrate America’s independence on July 4th! These are easy to make with just a few ingredients. The best part about these shots is that you don’t have to worry about any raw eggs or alcohol being used in them (so they’re kid-friendly too!). They may take a little time to assemble, but it’ll be worth it when your family and friends gather around the table for an afternoon of good food and great conversation!
Red White and Blue Strawberry Jello Shots
- 50 extra-large strawberries (about 2 large cartons)
- 1 package (3 oz) Jell-O™ blue berry
- 1 cup water
- 2 envelopes (1.4 oz) unflavored powdered gelatin (about 2.5 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup milk or cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup flavored (or plain) vodka, divided
- Slice off the bottoms of the strawberries to allow them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure not to cut off so much that there is a hole—the slightest hole will make the gelatin leak out of the berries. Use a paring knife or small spoon to hollow out the strawberries as much as possible.
- 2 Place 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Add the blue gelatin and mix to combine the gelatin. Sprinkle 1 envelope of unflavored powdered gelatin on top, let sit for 60 seconds. Mix to combine and then turn on heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- 3 Pour half of the berry blue gelatin (1/2 cup) into a 1/2 cup of the vodka. Set aside.
- 4 Place 1/2 cup milk, cream or coconut milk into a medium saucepan. Sprinkle 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin on top and let sit for 60 seconds. Mix to combine and then turn on medium-high heat. Add 1/2-cup of sugar. Bring to a simmer and make sure that the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- 5 Pour the white gelatin mixture into the remaining 1/2 cup of the vodka. Set aside at room temperature. Do not place somewhere cold, stir it every 10 minutes or so while you are on the next step.
- 6 Using a spoon, carefully pour the blue gelatin into the strawberries. Fill only halfway. Refrigerate for about 45-60 minutes or until the gelatin is semi-set (firm but still sticky).
- 7 Fill the rest of the hollowed strawberry with the white gelatin mixture. Refrigerate for at 3-4 hours.
- 8 When fully set, slowly slice each strawberry in half from the top down. Place them on mini sticks or skewers. Keep refrigerated until serving.
Share this recipe!
Tips for making the perfect jello shots
-Slice the strawberries to allow them to stand upright.
-Do not cut off too much or you will have a hole where it can leak out of the strawberry and make a mess.
-Layering different colors is always fun!
-If your berries are leaking, fill with more gelatin mixture on top so they don’t all fall over.
-If you want a thicker jello shot, use more gelatin and less liquid. If you prefer thinner shots, add more liquid to the mix for your desired consistency.
-Use flavored vodka or drink your favorite beverage instead of plain!